Meet your School Counselor!
My name is Nicole Conner and I began working at Hazelwood Elementary in 2011. My first two years I was split between Hazelwood and another school. I have been happy to be here full-time since Fall 2013! I received my Master’s in Education (School Counseling) from Western Carolina University in 2010. Prior to that, I was a Social Worker for 15 years. I have four children who are all school age and they keep my husband and I very busy! I enjoy spending time attending my children’s sporting and school events, working in my yard, playing with my pet bunnies, and reading.

How is a student referred to the School Counselor?
Student referral: a student can refer themselves to the Counselor by filling out a “Note for the Counselor” and placing the note in the box on my door.
Teacher referral: a teacher can refer a student by e-mail, phone call, or in person.
Parent referral: a parent can refer a student by calling me (828-456-2406) or e-mailing me: or just stopping by my office.

What does a School Counselor do anyway?
A School Counselor is responsible for delivering a developmentally appropriate school-wide counseling program. This is accomplished by providing opportunities for individuals to meet and discuss problems, by providing opportunities for groups, and by delivering classroom guidance lessons to every grade. The following are the School Counselor Responsibilities.
Individual Student Planning:
• Counsel students with normal developmental issues
• Consult with parents & teachers about their students
• Facilitate/mediate/support parent-teacher conferences
• Refer students with mental health needs to community agencies and liaison with agency personnel
Targeted Small Groups:
• Facilitate Student Assistance Team (SAT). This in a multi-agency team that identifies and supports students who are considered at risk.
• Coordinate MANNA backpack program for food-insecure students.
• Act as liaison between community agencies and churches and students/families in need, including Thanksgiving and Holiday meals, and other ongoing needs.
• Assist 5th graders in their transition to middle school with special presentations and tours.
• Counsel groups of students with similar issues such as changing families, new students, social skills and girl’s issues.

• Facilitate Children at Risk Educationally Team (CARE). This team provides interventions and follow-up for students who are struggling academically.
• Teach Classroom Guidance, K-5, and lesson planning.
• Prevent bullying through the use of student surveys, classroom guidance; meet with students who exhibit bullying behaviors, their teachers, and their parents.
• Coordinate with Kids Advocacy Resource Effort (KARE) for K-5 personal safety (abuse and safety) lessons.
• Coordinate Student Ambassador Program.
• Facilitate 504 committee. This committee identifies students who are in need of academic accommodations based on disability and affected academic performance.
Professional Development:
• Attend county School Counselor meetings.
• Attend professional development conferences.

What types of lessons are given in the classroom?
Lessons vary depending on the grade. Some areas that are addressed in guidance lessons are:
• Study skills
• Stress/relaxation
• Bullying/friendship, and
• Personal safety
What types of groups are provided?
Groups vary depending on the needs of the students in the group. Some examples are:
• Friendship
• Girl’s group
• Social skills
• Study skills
• Positive behavior/following rules
If you are interested in having your child participate in a group, call me (828-456-2406) or e-mail me: or just stop by my office.

• Appalachian Counseling Services: provides mental health, substance abuse, and developmental disability services to individuals, families, and communities within the seven western counties of North Carolina.
(828) 452-1395
• Haywood County Psychological Services; works with families to address behavioral concerns, attention and hyperactivity issues, and childhood depression and anxiety. They specialize in providing care for children traumatized due to abuse and neglect.
(828) 456-2997
• Life Counseling Center: The Therapists at Life Counseling Center specialize in many fields of counseling. They include but are not limited to: marriage, family, individual, and substance abuse.
(828) 627-5433
• Meridian Behavioral Health Services: Services offered for adults, children, and families.
• Olson Huff Center at Mission St Joseph’s: Developmental pediatricians, occupational therapy, psychological testing and therapy
(828) 213-1780

• add/adhd

• Studying help

• Bullying