Date:

12/13/20202

Dear Santa,

I must apologize that I have taken these once every year letters for granted.  In past years, I would usually ask for something crazy like a new gaming console or one of those new Ford Broncos that we might see some time in the next year.  I also usually end up being very satisfied with socks, underwear, and if I’m lucky, some chocolate.  However, I will not turn down the new gaming console or a Bronco if you have extra ones lying around that can fit in your sleigh with everything else that you’re carrying this year.

If I can be honest, I am much more appreciative of the simple gatherings with family and conversations with loved ones this year with everything going on.  I realize that, like socks and underwear, we might have taken these times together for granted.  Having family gatherings with pie, pound cake, and wassail was a forgone conclusion for the last forty-plus years of my life.  I can fix a pound cake and wassail and even have my grandmother’s recipe.  Unfortunately, they never taste the same as they did at her house.  I miss those days sitting in my grandfather’s orange leather living room chair opening Christmas gifts. I’m sure you remember the one I am talking about, it was orange!  Not a unique shade of Brown, it was ORANGE.  And I loved it.  If you have a way to recreate those memories, would you please permanently add that to my list.  I feel a little humbled to need to include these family gatherings on my list, but they mean more now than they ever have. 

I also realize that the fatigue of fighting Covid-19 over the past year has left all of us a bit tired and grumpy.  As you know, communities are fighting over masks, politics, and vaccines, and our community is no different.  I am sure that these are well-meaning people, and I would hope that you exercise some grace when deciding which of these fine people have met the threshold to be included on your naughty list.  I do have faith in our people, even the ones I can’t entirely agree with, and I will vouch for each of them.  If you have some special magic that might minimize our frustration with this mess, something that will make us more neighborly, I would like to add it to all of our Christmas lists.  

Finally, I would like to let you know that I have already received far more than I deserve, so if you need to use the space on your sleigh for someone else, I certainly understand. I will not take this as a slight.  But, if you feel the need to bring me socks, t-shirts, or underwear, remember that I am a bit of a stress eater, and you might want to go with a size larger this year.  

Best wishes and stay healthy,

Todd Trantham

Share This

Upcoming Events

May 27, 2024
HCS - Annual Leave Day
May 31, 2024
HCS - Last Student Day
June 3, 2024
HCS - Mandatory Teacher Workday
June 4, 2024
HCS - Optional Teacher Workday
June 5, 2024
HCS - Optional Teacher Workday
June 6, 2024
HCS - Optional Teacher Workday
June 7, 2024
HCS - Optional Teacher Workday
June 10, 2024
HCS - Optional Teacher Workday
August 13, 2024
HCS - Mandatory Teacher Workday
August 14, 2024
HCS - Mandatory Teacher Workday

Contact Us

• Hazelwood Elementary School
  • Todd Trantham, Principal
  • 1111 Plott Creek Rd. Waynesville, NC 28786
  • 828.456.2406
  • 828.456.5438

Haywood County Schools is in the process of reviewing its website to ensure compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you have questions or concerns regarding the accessibility of the website or if you are unable to access a page or document on the website, you may contact the Technology Department via email at postmaster@haywood.k12.nc.us.